A helping hand for a healthy home.
Adopted children who have been abused or neglected by their birth families often need help coping with the effects of that abuse and loss of birth family. Northern Rivers’ Adoption Navigation Services helps families formed through adoption and guardianship find necessary resources for the variety of issues and needs that arise after the adoption is finalized, as well as supporting adoptive and postguardianship families, empowering them for growth and enabling positive outcomes for all involved.
- Training opportunities for parents and professionals
- Scholarships are available for parent training
- Child-care information and referral resources
- Referral to a network of local adoptive-sensitive practitioners, agencies, and volunteers who provide a variety of services to families who have adopted
Our adoption-knowledgeable professionals can provide families with:
- An understanding of adopted children’s crises and assistance in minimizing the need for placements and disruptions
- An opportunity to access available resources as well as emotional support and direction to help families navigate the complexities of adoption
- A connection to services, providers, and trainings tailored to those who have adopted
- Assistance in understanding adopted children’s crises and help in minimizing the need for placements and disruptions
- Staffed by adoptive parents who possesses extensive experience with special education and special needs concerns
Parents from Albany, Columbia, Greene, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Warren, and Washington Counties are eligible for services. The New York State Office of Office of Mental Health (OMH) makes the initial outreach.
For more information on these services or to arrange for a tour of any residence, please contact:
Suzanne D’Aversa, LCSW
Adoption Services Specialist