Adoption Navigation Services
Supporting adoptive and guardianship families
Northern Rivers’ Adoption Navigation Services helps families formed through adoption and guardianship find necessary resources for the variety of issues and needs that arise after finalization. Adoption Navigation Services support adoptive and postguardianship families, empowering them for growth and enabling positive outcomes for all involved. Our workers have extensive knowledge and lived experience parenting children with emotional, mental health, and trauma-based needs.
This program is funded through a grant from the New York Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS) for families residing in Albany, Fulton, Montgomery, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, Warren, and Washington Counties.
How We Can Help
Our adoption-knowledgeable professionals can provide families with:
- An understanding the crises adopted children and youth in guardianship face, as well as strategies to help parents with parenting challenges along with emotional support for navigating the complexities that adoptive and guardianship families face
- A connection to services, providers, and trainings tailored to those who have adopted or who have children in guardianship care
Assistance in meeting the needs of youth so that the family can avoid out-of-home placements
- Case management to help families access services
- Support groups for parents, currently done through Zoom virtual meetings
- Activities for families both in person and through Zoom virtual meeting
- Training opportunities for parents and professionals
- Support to access appropriate educational needs
- Short-term therapy for any member of the adoptive family with program clinician
- Referral to local adoptive-sensitive practitioners and clinicians who provide a variety of services to families who have adopted
Who Is Eligible?
Families who have an adopted child younger than age 21 still living at home or who have legal guardianship or a kinGAP agreement for a child younger than age 18 living at home and who reside in Albany, Fulton, Montgomery, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, Warren, or Washington County are eligible for services.
Getting Started and Inquiries
Interested families should call our team at 518.426.2888, and we will be happy to talk about enrolling you in our program.