The Supervised Visitation Program provides specific and curriculum guided skills and core concepts for building healthier family relationships in a Service Provider Office Based setting, LDSS office, community setting or the client’s home for families identified by the Schenectady County Department of Social Services to aide in promoting the goal of family reunification. A unique component of the program is “consultation time” available to parents outside of visiting time. Emphasis is placed on creating a safe and healthy family environment for children with their parents in charge. Parents are empowered and supported to make healthy decisions for themselves and their families during visiting time.
There is no cost to families for SVP services.
What are the services available?
Specific services offered by the SVP’s Parent Educator/ Clinical Case Manager include but are not limited to the following:
- Thorough assessment of parenting needs and individualized goals for each participant
- Fully supervised and partially supervised visitation as well as check ins during unsupervised visits
- Parent Education using Active Parenting Now model
- Cognitive Behavioral techniques
- Trauma informed care (particularly through the Attachment, Self-Regulation, & Competency/ ARC Model)
- Coached Family Visits that are respective of family culture
- Pre visit consultation and debriefs following visits
- Social Relations (activities, planned events and advocacy services are made available to help reduce isolation)
- Assistance with referrals to less intensive services to enhance successful reunification and assistance with transition process to new services
- Parent Educator/ Clinical Case Manager is available for court testimony to assist with permanency planning
- Improved relationships between parent and child(ren)
- Increased understanding of child development and behaviors that underlie feelings and needs
- Improved parenting skills
- Safer home environments
- Reduction of risk-related behaviors
- Decreased risk of child maltreatment
- Reunification of parents with their children or alternate permanency plan
Who can access services?
All referrals for the SVP Program come from the Schenectady County Department of Social Services.
How are services accessed?
The Parent Educator/ Clinical Case Manager meets regularly with Julie Copeland from the Schenectady County Department of Social Services to discuss all referrals to the program. As openings become available, intakes are scheduled with the DSS Case Manager. Wales Brown, Parent Educator/ Clinical Case Manager can be reached at 393-2194 ext. 2205 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Barbara Pasinella, LMHC, Director can be reached at 393-2194 ext. 7551 or Barbara.email@example.com.
When are services available?
Visits are offered Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 5 pm. Evening visits are also available as needed.