Preserving Families, Strengthening Communities
When you open your heart to a young person who enjoys
the same things you do,
you can enrich his or her life, and your own!
Mentors at Northeast Parent & Child Society spend a few
hours per week with at-risk children and adolescents age 21 and under
from our own community. We request a minimum commitment of one year.
* A responsible, caring adult who wants to make a
difference in a child's life, a few hours a week at a time
* Less about being a teacher, and more about being a
* Less like a parent, more like an older sibling
* Patient and open-minded
* A shoulder to lean on
* An ear to listen
Referrals and Services
Mentoring for Change receives
referrals from Northeast Parent & Child Society and from community
service agencies that provide services to at-risk youth.
Caring, professional staff from
Northeast help our mentors every step of the way through:
* Initial and ongoing training
* Round-the-clock telephone access to trained staff in case of emergency
* Communication with other Northeast mentors through e-mail, phone, and
* Weekly receipt via e-mail of a list of community activities
* The ability to call staff, at any time, with questions, comments, and
Nationwide, mentors have fun while
making a difference in children’s lives.
Youth who have mentors are:
* 52 percent less likely to skip school
* 46 percent less likely to begin using illegal drugs
* 33 percent less likely to hit someone
* 27 percent less likely to begin using alcohol.
to get started
* Arrange an
interview and orientation session by:
* Calling (518) 372-4100, or
* Filling out a mentor inquiry form
* Complete an application package.
* Attend a mentor training session.
* Let us match you with a youth who shares your interests.
Mentors can establish long-term, trusting
relationships with youth:
"My mentor is a sounding board for everything that I think and feel.
Whenever I'm happy or upset, thinking about going to college, or
worrying about the bad day I had, she's the person I turn to."
- Da'shon, a Northeast mentee
"I've been waiting a long time to meet you." - Dan, a Northeast mentor
"I've been waiting my whole life to meet you." - Anthony, Dan's mentee
Click here to
A MENTOR! CHANGE A
Mentoring for Change
120 Emmons Street
Schenectady, New York 12304
Northeast Home Donate Online